Thursday, October 07, 2004

Was It Murder? Suicide? A Tragic Accident?

Look at that sweet little face in the picture down below. Jazz isn't a murderer, no way. I heard the "come here, come here" bark about mid-morning and went outside to see what Jazz had found. He was over by one of the big oak trees barking at something on the ground. I thought it was probably one of the turtles so I walked over and saw it was a squirrel, a big squirrel, probably one that has taunted and tortured Jazz all summer. It was lying on it's side, eyes were half closed and it wasn't moving at all. My presence lent some bravado to Jazz and he barked and jumped at the squirrel, barked and jumped and finally got the nerve to actually pull on it's tail........IT MOVED!!!.......not dead. Poor thing's back leg seemed to be maybe broken as he drug it with much effort for a few inches. I didn't want Jazz to continue to mess with him so I brought Jazz into the house. An hour or two later I went out to look at the squirrel intending to put him behind the fence where maybe his friends would find him or he could die in peace. Anyway, he was already dead and the flies were swarming so he must have been on his last breath when Jazz found him. I suspect he must have fallen out of the tree and broke his back leg and likely internally injured himself. I got the shovel and put him in the ditch behind the fence. If it rains like it's predicted to do then he'll get washed away soon enough. Some how that seems better than putting it in the trash can. I decided to change the sheets and clean up my bedroom a little. I dusted, cleaned the bathroom, changed out the A/C filters and put up some clothes. Decided to turn the comforter over and see how I liked that for a change. Also put one of the quilts on the foot of the bed which gives it a different look. Called and got a haircut appointment for Saturday.....thank goodness. I'm going back to the old "do". Rain has been predicted since yesterday afternoon....up to an 80% chance......but it's only sprinkled some. It looks like it is getting ready to pour down but the next time I look outside, it's back to sunshine.