Old Friends
Saw in the paper during the past week about the deaths of some of mother's old church friends..Mannan McWhorter and, today, Reba Perryman. Mrs. McWhorter was the wife of the man who taught me math in the 8th grade. He was so nice, so patient, and so wanted me to learn math. He met with students early and late to tutor and help them. Mr. Mc was one of those teachers who loved the kids and did all he could to help them along. I guess we didn't appreciate those efforts at the time but I'm sure he has a big halo in heaven. Mrs. Mc was a little tiresome and always striving for attention but I think she was a nice lady. Of course, Mrs. Perryman was the mom of girls I went to high school with. Judy was a little younger than me but very friendly to every one. Mother really liked Reba. A few weeks ago I saw the obit for Nell Murphy, another Wesley Church old friend. She was always a very attractive lady with a fluff of silver hair and always dressed to the nines...she was a buyer for Meyer and Schmidt which was later Dillards so she could dress in the best of clothes. I remembered to call Merlin Beddingfield back today. She seemed thrilled but surprised I did. She wanted me to know some of the old Wesley bunch meet a couple of times a month at Pollard for dominoes and lunch...kind of like the old game days. She said folks from Wesley seemed to have gone to Pleasant Retreat or Pollard and this gives them a chance to be together again...like old times. She was thinking I might stop by there some time to say hello. I told her I had retired but had recently taken a part-time job. I made no promises but it was nice she thought of me. She caught me up on some of the people like the Barbers, the Murphys, Polly Wagnon, and so on. She said her girls are okay...Joann, the odd one, just picked up and moved to San Antonio. They don't even know where she lives or what her phone number is and that's the way she seems to prefer it. One daughter lives with her. I never knew them very well as I was in a grade ahead of Joann and the others were even younger. I have been working on the prescription program web site. It's fun to see if they will help the patients. It's a little awkward since I not really familiar with the process but that will come with practice. I think I will like this part of my job.
<< Home