Thursday, February 10, 2005

Goin' To See Marilyn

Jazz was way past due for a haircut. The last one he got was in mid-December. Poor thing...he is a messy, shaggy little guy. I called Groomingdale's yesterday for an appointment and was surprised that they said bring him on Thursday. I started talking with Jazz about going to see Marilyn. I'm certain he understood. When I woke up early this morning and started getting dressed, he knew what was up. He does love to go see Marilyn, his groomer. It's lonely here without him though. Yesterday I went to Longview and got my client there to sign the prescription assistance applications. She's a very nice lady and seems to be so appreciative of any help she can get. I then went on to Marshall to visit a new referral. I beat and banged on her door (as the referral suggested) but finally had to get the cell phone and call her to come to the door. That worked. This lady was a hoot. She taught school for 24 years then left because her blood pressure was too high. She then opened a "lunchroom" as she called it. Her husband had a taxi business. He died many years ago and they had no children. She told some interesting stories about some of the children she recalled from her teaching years. One in particular is a little girl whose mother and siblings perished in a house fire. She said the little girl and her mother got out of the house but the mother realized the other children were still in the house so she told the little girl to run and not stop and the mother went back inside and before she came out again the roof caved in on her and the remaining siblings, killing them all. My client used this as an example of children being taught to mind and do as they were told. She talked of some of her former students becoming doctors...so proud. This little girl survived because she did what the mother told her. She believes Bill Clinton and George Bush, Sr called her on the phone and kept wondering why they called her and how they got her number. I'm sure it was during the election campaign and was a computer generated call. Poor thing is so sure they called just her. She has even asked among her friends if they were called and says no one else got a call but her. I didn't have the heart to ask her what they said. She also tells about "important" people in the community who write her letters.....like Mr. Whoever that owns the funeral home. He wrote her a letter asking that she let him bury her......I'm sure it was just an advertisement. It was all rather sad. She's all alone really with only a cousin to check on her occasionally. I got a paycheck yesterday and they did pay me for the visits. The check was for about $250 so I'm happy about that. I need to get them to pay me for the two visits I made the first week and we will be all even. I mentioned in an earlier post the several people from Athens that are deceased. Well, I saw the obit for Mr. Neill in yesterday's paper so he didn't pass away a long time ago as I had thought. He was 73. It said he had retired from the state after 29 years.