Friday, April 15, 2005

Did I See The Future Today?

Did I see the future today....I could so easily end up like this. I had a visit today with a lady in Kilgore. She lives alone, has no children, lost her sister, brother and husband all within the span of one year. Very sad. She's 82 years old. She feels that what family she does have, a few neices and half siblings, have taken and fleeced her along the way and she wants nothing to do with them and, I suspect, they want nothing to do with her. This lady is probably wealthy...she was able to pay $2700 a month for her husband to be in a nursing home the last few months of his life. It seems she has a lot of regrets that she dwells on. She was not with her husband when he died. She said the NH kept calling her that day asking her to come but she was sick, just out of the hospital and couldn't drive so she told them she could not come. She said the NH person told her they just didn't want him to die alone. She said what could she do by coming. I think this gnaws at her. She's tried to hire people to come in and help her...housekeepers, yard people, etc. but she says they steal from her and she can't trust them. That scares me a little as she said she finds these people out of the paper. Who knows about them? Once they find she has money they could kill her and take it all. It happens everyday. She does have a lady friend who comes by weekly and shops for her, groceries and such, but that seems to be the only person she has any relationship with. So sad. I felt like I should help her some way...go buy some groceries, help her cook her lunch or something but I don't think that would have been appropriate. I'll call her in a couple of weeks to check on her. I came home by way of New Summerfield and spent about $50 at Davis Plant Farm. I bought hanging baskets, a Sweet Olive shrub and another hydragea. I think Jazz and I will spend the weekend in the yard. He will be happy about that.