Sunday, May 22, 2005

Good To Be Home Again

Made the trip to Baytown. It was a nice visit but it is always good to be home again. I got there about 3:00 and Pat and Rudy had not yet made it back from their dr. appointment. I let myself in and Jazz and the weiner dogs and I sat out on the deck. It was pleasant with a little breeze blowing. P&R arrived after about 15 minutes so the timing was good. We had a nice dinner and the plan was to have steaks on Thursday and go out for Mexican on Friday. Rudy seems to be doing okay but must wear a belt at all times that beeps if he attempts to get up from the chair or out of the bed. It is just too risky for him to get up alone but he forgets and the beeping warns Pat. He can walk but she follows behind him with her hand on the belt in order to have hold of him in case he starts to fall or stumbles. He seems fairly alert and carries on a short conversation. The therapist has given them some tubing to insert his eating utensils in which allows him to feed himself quite easily and neatly. He cannot be left alone at all and I know that is confining to Pat. It's hard to leave him with anyone else since he needs quite a bit of help going to the bathroom. She didn't elaborate about that but I suspect she had to do most everything for him in there in addition to dressing, etc. She got a little short with him a time or two when he said he was ready to go to bed and she had just sat down after cleaning up the kitchen. He tried to get up alone on Thursday and Pat stopped him. He said he was just going to go out and set the fire in the grill which he can't do. He did really well when we went over to Jack and Anneine's for a visit and when we went out to eat. Pat did leave him alone with me when she ran to the grocery store. Jazz and I have been lazy today. I went to the grocery store. There were no calls from NHC when I got home. There was a call from Barbara B. just wondering how I was doing. I tried to call back this afternoon but there was so much static on the line I don't think she could hear me. When I dialed again the cell phone was turned off so I left a message. I wonder what's up with her. I wonder if she is ready to sell her van. Jazz and I are having steak again tonight. Need to get back in our routine. Next week will be kind of rough with the tooth extraction. I'm still taking Advil and my alergies are making me feel rather bad. I'll be glad to get all this dental stuff over with.